CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 7, 2014

Barabbas

Oh, happy day when the crowd shouted
that I was to be let free.
Did you know we shared a name? Yeshua Bar-Abbas, son of a Jewish father,
and Yeshua who called himself Messiah.
Your savior had my common name.
“Behold, your son will save the world, and you will name him...Josh.”
Not exactly creative.

Is that why they called me, of all the criminals,
to be sought out against that quiet man?
I wore my crimes proudly; saw in the crowd faces
of people who had seen me murder their brothers and sons
Yet somehow, deep and terrible was their anger toward a man
whose hands, next to mine,
were so clean.

The crowd parted as I walked back into the city
and closed behind me like an ocean. I, who knew of Abba,
said a prayer just in case. Then
I broke a man’s skull with a rock.

Your Joshua - such a pity
that he died instead of me
and I never knew what it meant.

0 comments: