CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 7, 2014

Cadence

For Auntie Nancy

I will see you in every pretty thing.
I will see you in iridescent insect wings
and the bright throats of hummingbirds.
I’ll seek you out in high white clouds.
Every blue sky, every evening rain,
every winter breath I take will remind me
of you; the beauty you saw; the life you lived.

You will walk beside me in department stores
as we stroll down the aisles, touching fabric, stroking sleeves.
You’ll point out gold-painted jeweled sandals
and hold everything turquoise up to match your eyes.
I’ll put on rhinestone sunglasses and sparkling bracelets
and, laughing, ask if I look glamourous.
You’ll always say yes.

But mostly I’ll think of you
when soft ivory caresses my fingertips.
I’ll remember watching your fingers fly through
Bach fugues, Mozart preludes,
Chopin nocturnes and Beethoven sonatas.
I will smell your hairspray like you’re next to me,
playing duets, turning pages.
Like Bach dedicated his pieces to God
every song I play will be for you.

To celebrate you I wear turquoise the color of your eyes.
I breathe in the scent of dusty music
and hear you play it in my memory.
I close my eyes and remember the hot summer afternoon
when you taught me how to play badminton;
the smell of the grass and bark; cold lemonade.
I remember sitting in your white wicker chairs
and drinking tea, like ladies,
and cuddling up to your softness to watch movies.

When I came to say goodbye
your cheeks were impossibly soft,
your eyes impossibly bright.
I think you knew who I was.
I think you kept your arms around me
just a little longer than usual.

I was your special girl; the daughter you never had;
and you were my favorite auntie.
You will live on in every pretty thing
and I will never stop watching for you.

0 comments: